Key Points
- Twenty-nine states are pursuing Meta over alleged youth harm, consumer deception and unlawful collection of children’s data.
- An advisory jury will hear the case, but a federal judge will make the final decision.
- The states seek nationwide platform changes, while disputed estimates place possible penalties in the hundreds of billions.
The latest
A 29-state coalition will begin presenting its case against Meta in an Oakland federal court on Tuesday, alleging that Facebook and Instagram were designed to addict young users, harmed their mental health and misrepresented platform safety. An eight-member advisory jury will hear the multiweek trial, while U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers will ultimately decide the case. Meta denies misleading consumers and says the states have not shown actual harm to their residents.
Details
- States’ allegations: Colorado, California, New Jersey and Kentucky are leading the bipartisan coalition. Their claims include allegations that Meta used addictive design features targeting children and teenagers. All 29 states also accuse the company of improperly collecting and using children’s personal information in violation of federal law.
- Nationwide remedies: The attorneys general want Rogers to order age restrictions, eliminate infinite scrolling and require other changes to Facebook and Instagram across the United States. Such an order could alter how two of the world’s most widely used social media platforms are designed and operated.
- Penalty dispute: Meta says potential penalties could reach $1.4 trillion, close to its reported $1.5 trillion market value. The attorneys general have not specified a final demand, but told the court at a hearing last week that the amount could be nearer $200 billion.
- Meta’s defence: A Meta spokesperson called the claims unsubstantiated and said the company had established strong protections for teenagers. Meta argues that the states lack proof that residents were deceived or harmed and are seeking to penalise it for industry-wide challenges, including verifying users’ ages.
- Expected evidence: Meta founder and chief executive Mark Zuckerberg and Instagram head Adam Mosseri are expected to testify. The states also plan to present internal company documents and research, alongside evidence from former Meta employees and experts. The jury’s verdict will advise Rogers rather than bind her.
- Broader exposure: The case is among thousands brought by states, municipalities, school districts and individuals against social media companies over alleged harm to young users. Snap, TikTok owner ByteDance and YouTube parent Alphabet also face litigation. Meta has warned that the cases could materially affect its business and financial results.
Background
The 2023 lawsuit followed a multistate investigation announced after former Meta employee Frances Haugen’s disclosures. Haugen told a U.S. Senate committee in 2021 that Meta knew its products could harm younger users and could be made safer, but prioritised higher profits. Those statements remain allegations rather than judicial findings.
What’s next
Opening statements are scheduled for Tuesday before the eight-member advisory jury. The trial is expected to last several weeks and include testimony from Zuckerberg and Mosseri. After the jury issues its verdict, Rogers will determine liability and decide whether to impose penalties or nationwide platform changes.